FREDONIA-POMFRET PARKS COMMISSION
ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of the organization shall be the Fredonia-Pomfret Parks Commission.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
The purpose of this organization is to advise and work with the Village of Fredonia and the Town of Pomfret in the planning and maintenance of its parks; namely, Russell Joy Park, Barker Common and Houghton Park, and the following playgrounds: Gardner Street, Barker, Elm Street, Lambert, and Laona, as well as any other recreational areas within the jurisdiction of these two governing bodies. It shall observe a non-partisan policy with regard to its politics.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
1. Voting membership shall consist of up to 20 people, including 3 students residing within the Town of Pomfret which includes the Village of Fredonia, or owning property and who represent a cross-section of the area. Candidates for regular membership will be submitted to the Parks Commission at any regular meeting by the members of the Parks Commission, Board of Trustees, Town Councilmen, Town Supervisor and Mayor of the Village of Fredonia. A list will then be sent to the Board of Trustees for final approval.
2. Term of office shall be three (3) years, and members may be reappointed by the majority of the Parks Commission and the Board of Trustees for additional terms of three (3) years contingent upon that person’s willingness to serve.
3. Non-voting advisory members shall consist of all Ad Hoc members including:
Two Village Trustee
Two Town Council Members
Two members of the Recreational Department
Mayor of the Village of Fredonia
4. If a voting member misses three (3) meetings without notification to the Chairman Secretary, or Director; that member shall be contacted by the secretary as to his/her intent to remain a member of the Commission. The secretary will report to the Commission the findings and action will be taken by the entire Parks Commission.
ARTICLE IV – MEETINGS
1. Meetings will be held monthly at a time and place set by the Chairperson.
2. Roberts Rules of Order, Revised, shall govern the deliberations of this organization unless in conflict with these By-Laws.
3. Votes will be cast on issues for deliberation at one vote per regular member.
4. A quorum of six (6) voting members must be present.
5. A majority of the total voting membership present rules in all actions of the Commission.
ARTICLE V – CHAIRPERSON
1. The Chairperson and Vice Chairperson shall be elected annually at the regular September meeting by a majority of the voting members present.
2. The term of office for Chairperson and Vice Chairperson shall be one (1) year and members may be reappointed by the majority rule of the Parks Commission for one additional term. The Chairmanship will be limited to two (2) consecutive terms.
3. The Chairperson shall establish a Public Relations Committee and any other Ad Hoc Committees as necessary.
ARTICLE VI – AMENDMENTS
Recommendations to change these By-Laws may be made at any meeting upon the affirmation of three-fourths (3/4) of the regular voting members present, provided a copy of said changes be sent with the meeting place and time to the last known address of the members at least fifteen (15) days prior to the meeting. Final approval must be made by a majority of the Board of Trustees of the Village of Fredonia.