Chapter 253

Chapter 253


[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Fredonia: Art. I, 10-11-1940; Art. II, 4-23-1990 as L.L. No. 2-1990; Art. III, 4-23-1990. Amendments noted where applicable.]


Use of dump — See Ch. 125.
Housing standards — See Ch. 179.
Littering — See Ch. 193.
Property maintenance — See Ch. 223.
Fees — See Ch. A312.

Garbage Collection
[Adopted 10-11-1940]

~ 253-1. Definitions.

As used in this Article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:

GARBAGE — Kitchen and house refuse and table cleanings, fruit parings, vegetable parings and decaying vegetable, animal and fruit matter.

~ 253-2. License required.

No corporation, firm, association or individual shall collect or dispose of garbage within the corporate limits of the Village of Fredonia, New York, without first obtaining a license therefor upon such terms and conditions as the Board of Health of such village shall impose.

~ 253-3. Application for license; fee; garbage containers.

A. All applications for such a license shall be in writing, signed by the applicant, and shall set forth the purpose and the use for which the garbage is to be collected and the place or places where the same is to be used and such other information as the Board of Health may hereafter prescribe.

B. Such license shall be issued for a fee as set by resolution of the Board of Trustees, to be paid at the office of the Village Clerk, and shall expire annually on the 31st day of December.

C. Every licensee shall provide suitable cans or containers approved by the Health Officer of the Village of Fredonia, New York, in which to collect and transport the garbage. Every such container shall be kept individually covered.

~ 253-4. Burying and scattering garbage prohibited; receptacles.

A. Every householder, hotelkeeper or restaurant keeper and every person who, by family use or otherwise, has empty cans where vegetable or animal matter has been contained or has refuse, vegetable or animal matter is hereby forbidden from burying or throwing into the street or other places such refuse, vegetable or animal matter or cans or other empty receptacles.

B. Every householder, hotelkeeper or any person or persons who shall have such refuse, vegetable or animal matter or cans or other empty receptacles shall provide for the receiving and keeping of the same in metal receptacles which shall be watertight and covered with a closed cover; and all such refuse, vegetable and animal matter, cans and